What’s your biggest ever achievement?
How did you feel during the lead up to this?
There are some very successful people who are enjoying the fruits of their hard work – we are often unaware of the effort, commitment and long hours it has taken them to achieve their goal.
- JK Rowling struggled to find a publisher for her Harry Potter books and had hardly any money before Bloomsbury took a chance on her. She is now one of richest women in the world
- Rumour has it that Walt Disney was fired from a newspaper for lacking imagination – he now has an empire worth billions of dollarsAchievement isn’t based on money though – Pride of Britain awards last week there were some people who have some amazing achievements – believing in a cause and raising loads of money, protecting others by putting themselves at risk.
In their testimonies many of them say, they didn’t stop to think about what they were doing, they just wanted to help. If they had been really aware of the situation and realised the seriousness of what they were doing – they may not have done it.
Peter walks on Water
- Jesus’ disciples are in a boat on a massive lake
- Jesus has had some devastating news that one of his friends has been killed – he goes up into the hills to be alone
- A strong wind gets up, making heavy waves and the Disciples get into trouble far away from land (ever been on a boat & experienced that?)
- About 3 ‘o’ clock in the morning, Jesus approaches the boat – walking on the water
- Disciples are terrified and think he’s a ghost. He tells them not to be afraid – “it’s me!”
- Peter wants to see for himself – “If it is you, tell me to walk towards you on the water” so Jesus calls him over
- Peter walks towards Jesus but suddenly becomes aware of the wind and waves, is terrified and starts to sink
As soon as he became aware of what he was doing, where he was – Peter doubted and began to sink. He lost faith.
Sometimes we doubt ourselves, or suddenly realise the enormity of the situation and it puts us off – like Peter, or like the Pride of Britain winners. But having courage and determination can help us achieve big things.
Walt Disney said – All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them Sometimes getting it wrong helps us to get it right next time – Peter learnt a lesson from doubting
Jesus, it gave him greater faith and a stronger relationship
My faith as a Christian helps me in day to day life and my belief in God helps me get through good times but also tough situations.
Achievement doesn’t mean that you have to change the world, make loads of money or become famous. It doesn’t even mean that you have to be the best at everything all the time.